Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Post #101

So i just realized that my last post was #100. Yay for me :)

So if you don't know me, I am a physical therapist. I see lots of interesting patients on a daily basis and get told all sorts of stories, which I always said that I need to write down because this is stuff you just can't make up. But this isn't about that.

I had a patient the other day whom I am seeing for low back pain from a sledding accident. I saw him a few times and he would get a little better but not completely. He was getting discouraged, I am trying to figure out why my usual course of action wasn't making a much progress as I expected. Then he came in yesterday and said, "I have something to confess, I didn't tell you everything." AHA! I knew there had to be something else. Well turns out he moved furniture last weekend and was significantly worse, but with the exercises I prescribed and ice the pain level decreased. The weekend before he sat in a camping chair while watching his son play baseball (not the best posture for prolonged periods of time). So we did more education on postures to avoid and how to modify what he is doing and he left with NO pain. We also tweaked the exercises a little.

I love these days when I feel that I can really help someone and I can say "I was a good therapist today." I must admit that there are some days that my heart just isn't in it. Tired. Burnt out. Not enough exercise. Hungry. But yesterday was a GOOD day.

PS. I ran 3 miles today while both kids were sleeping. It is gorgeous outside so I just ran up and down my driveway a few times. Yes, it is a long driveway.

~Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment