Thursday, June 30, 2011

Toenails

Yesterday's workout was a good one. My training plan called for 7 mile tempo run or 30 min of hills (or hill repeats). I choose the hills.

I took the little pup with me because I knew he would keep running up and down those hills with him.

This workout started with 1 mile warm up, 6 laps up and down a semi-large hill (run up, short walk 10-15 seconds, jog down easy), then 1 mile back home. I did all this in my five-fingers!!

I was one sweaty mess when I ended and got compliments on how well behaved my dog was. That was good to hear. However, he is much more well behaved when he is tired.

I am very excited to start running more in the five-fingers. About a month back my boss asked if I would train for a race in them and write about it in the newsletter. My plan is to do a marathon. I have already done a 5K, so just a few more miles right ;)


As for training woes, I came across this article today about runner's getting black toenails and having them fall off. This was something that I was just talking about with a patient of my. I have yet to experience this. He hasn't or his brother (who also runs marathons).

The article states that the most common cause is wearing shoes that are too small and that this is pretty common for marathoners and "almost a rite of passage for ultra-marathoners". If this is something that is caused by the wrong shoe size when not just get some new shoes?


Meals have not been all that exciting... egg sandwichs or smoothies for breakfast. Lunch; salad with strawberries and fish. Dinner; salad with something on top... or today was a baked sweet potato with black beans, pepper jack cheese, salsa, and a dollop of daisy.

Do you have plans for the holiday weekend? Running any races?
- I have family coming up to visit very exciting. Going to melting pot with Mom and Ashley. Maybe run in the 4K on the 4th in Concord.

Anyone need a running buddy?

Until later....

2 comments:

  1. Are you going to run Chicago in Vibrams?

    And I need a running buddy, move to WI ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. L- I am NOT going to run chicago in them but maybe providence. I would love to move to WI to run with you but don't think that Wally would like that :( miss you tons!

    ReplyDelete